Fosters Efficiency Improvement
The Foster’s Group is a brewing icon, It is responsible for such great brands like Victoria Bitter, Carlton Draught Pure Blonde and Crown Lager.
The Yatala Plant located in Queensland is one Foster’s largest production facilities. 330 employees are engaged at the site which produces Foster’s own brands of beer, spirits and ready to drink mixed spirits.
“The team have been of great assistance in the development of the Foster’s Yatala site’s transition to a Continuous Improvement culture. Utilising Lean tools and with a clear focus on detailed, systematic, sustainable and logical planning processes they have assisted in both the transfer of knowledge and in the establishment of a performance based mindset that has resulted in significant measurable improvements to our overall efficiencies and quality metrics"
- Noel Jago, General Manager Yatala
Line speed increases of an average 7% across 5 main SKUs (products)
Reduction in unplanned downtime resulting in an increased OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) of 9.9%
Implementation of Quality Assurance procedures through visual tools & standards.
Due to the success of their products in the marketplace, Foster’s Yatala wanted a targeted improvement activity to improve the efficiency of their spirit bottling Line. This had to be done with the full involvement of the cross functional employee team to ensure that the improvements were sustainable. Foster’s partnered with our team to help the team deliver on these improvements using Lean tools.
Efficiency improvements were to include:
- Increasing the speed of the bottling line
- Improving line availability through the reduction of unplanned downtime
- Improving quality metrics
- Ensuring all improvements were sustainable
Through effective stakeholder engagement and full cross functional team involvement, improvement actions were identified and prioritised to provide a joint Master Schedule that ensured project adherence through a regular review structure.
INCREASING THE SPEED OF THE BOTTLING LINE
- Conduct line speed increase trials
- Collate data & observation to implement improvement plans
- Establish new line speeds and set as standard
- Implement hourly & weekly performance tracking process
IMPROVING LINE AVAILABILITY THROUGH REDUCTION OF UNPLANNED DOWNTIMES
- Train and develop production staff in Quick Changeover Principles
- Develop standardised changeover procedures
- Apply set-up work balance activities & responsibilities
- Liaised with Maintenance to provide quick response procedures
IMPROVING QUALITY METRICS
- Create & visualise quality check standards
- Conduct quality conformation audit
- Implement Process Work Stations to display quality, operating, housekeeping & safety standards
ENSURING ALL IMPROVEMENTS WERE SUSTAINABLE
- Quality & safety visual standards created
- Daily & Weekly audits
- Introduction of standardised work